Innovating the wheat community through the RDA services and outputs
The Wheat Community Datathon focuses on getting researchers and other stakeholders acquainted with the data formats, services, protocols and needs of the wheat community. The first day will feature presentations about the various services the wheat group is using, get hold on sample data, as well as the services and outputs the RDA community has produced. In the second day of the event, the participants will have the opportunity to participate in a hands-on session (a laptop will be required) that will involve the use of RDA services and their application together with external related services on the relevant data.
Find out about the fascinating challenges in wheat farming and agriculture, get your hands on relevant datasets and services. Innovate, present your ideas or prototypes for services and win a prize.
Participants should bring their own laptops. If they wish to create any prototype services, they should have a development environment setup and be familiar with technologies
like: REST, XML, JSON, RDF.
The participants can:
- come up and propose complete innovative ideas regarding wheat and agriculture
- create their own prototype services/applications (e.g. a web based app or a mobile app)
- About the RDA Initiative – Fotis KARAYANNIS, RDA Europe member and RDA Secretariat, ATHENA Research Center
- Introduction to the Wheat group domain and the RDA Wheat Data Interoperability Group and its outputs - Esther DZALE YEUMO, French National Institute for Agricultural Research-INRA
- Case study 1: Organic Farming System: Management and Certification through GIS systems - Avraam MAVRIDIS, Center for Agricultural Innovation and Entrepreneurship, American Farm School of Thessaloniki
- Case study 2: Applying text mining services to facilitate discovery and linking of Wheat Scientific Information and Data- Michalis PAPAKONSTANTINOU, Agroknow
- Case study 3: Multi-Use Platforms at Sea for energy production and aquaculture, Phoebe KOUNDOURI, Founder and Scientific Director, International Center for Research on the Environment and the Economy, ICRE8